Thursday, October 2, 2008

Post Debate Analysis and How It Corresponds to My Life

Choices. Choices. Choices. Biden VS. Palin. Who won? Well...who really cares? That debate wasn't for my benefit anyway. No seriously. Sarah Palin was channeling Mary Richards with her perky, chirpy, Fargo imitation, neighbor next door routine. She was spending far too much time reading from cue cards instead of answering the questions posed. 

Joe Biden had a moment. He nearly pulled a 'Clinton in New Hampshire' teary eyed moment when discussing being a single parent after the loss of his first wife. Except I believed him. I think I would've given him the nod for that reason alone.

On the other hand he has even more experience in the Senate than McLame. So why didn't he run for President - oh wait he did. Shouldn't Biden have wiped the floor with Palin? No, because he would've been accused of picking on the girl. 

Gwen Ifill was sandbagged from jump with this whisper of inpropriety because she wrote a book that will be released next year about race and politics and 'Obama' is in the title. It would have validity if she had not been approved by both McCain and Obama as a moderator AND they already knew about it.  

If I were a veteran journalist covering politics I would've written a book about this very same subject. I see no conflict of interest - certainly none in an era of pundits without journalism degrees (Tucker Carlson), so-called journalists who were members of a former administration (George Stephanopoulos) and a chorus of partisan voices who have access to distribution sources of media. 

If Palin was able to hold her own there wouldn't be a need to claim people are being hard on her. How insulting is that by comparison to the public scrutiny Hillary Clinton received? Palin has certain amenable qualities but she is not a good debater. (She was wearing a little electronic device to get fed answers for assistance as well). She does not know how to manage people who work for her or how to make wise choices on the job. She can't even show up for work most of her term thus far. As a woman who touts her motherhood as an electable quality why did she refuse to meet with representatives from Moms Rising? She serves her purpose of obfuscation by being a willing servant of men in higher positions of authority. She's the pretty window dressing of a broken down Republican party.

Oh I have my criticism for the Democrats as well. No discussion on eradicating poverty in this country let alone around the world. How about adjusting the PELL grant amount to fit inflation and raising the maximum income eligibility? Has anyone discussed getting homeless people into housing and treatment? All that bobbing and weaving and dancing around issues, except when it came to teh gays! Then we got a clear and definitive answer from both candidates. Is it asking too much that they learn how to pronounce nuclear (new-cle-ar and not nu-cu-lar)?

Our entire economic infrastructure is built on popsicle sticks. One strong gust of wind is going to bring it all down. Did you notice how the Bailout plan has been reworded by the corporate media as a Rescue plan? And they just padded it with an additional $130B so it's now $830B. Add that to the $500B and counting for the armed occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan. 

Add to that all the bills with past due notices that Bush is letting collect dust until Obama gets elected - then BAM! It's really gonna hit the fan. We're being set up. We're feeling good and putting in work meanwhile the farm's been sold out from under us. Only we don't know it yet. The next President gets the hold the bag. I really hope people don't forget to see the forest for the trees. We've got to stop living on borrowed money. 

I'm rethinking my life in San Francisco - such that it is. It costs too much to live here but I like living in major cities. I won't even consider New York City right now. If I go to Los Angeles I'd need to buy a car and the price of gas is a grip and a half!! I live quite frugally. I buy whole milk and mix it with water to stretch it for example. Well... I hate skim milk! 

I can't be in a small town or live around small minded, xenophobes. I don't want to feel out of place. I also have certain creative career objectives that require me to be near a major entertainment market. It doesn't make the choice any easier though. If I leave and go away to a less expensive area what would I be giving up? What would I gain? I feel like I'm just treading water right now. And it's pissing me off! It's all about choices. 

I need a candidate who does more than tolerate my presence, opinions, lifestyle and existence. That's just one step away from ignoring me and letting others dictate how I get to live my life. Which makes it easier to not have laws in place that protect me from persons, companies or institutions that might do me harm.

Like banks that defraud customers, draconian drug laws with minimum sentencing requirements, telling teachers to forget about getting paid a livable wage when their reward is in heaven, calling for the annihilation of another sovereign nation and other things like that....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

both candidates and their VPs are the same old, same old.

If Obama was about change, why pick Biden? He's been in the senate as long as McCain. That's not change.

McCain is politics as usual.

there are better alternatives.

Faith at Acts of Faith Blog said...

Brother Omi:

I wasn't exactly pleased as punch with the selection of Joe Biden. It was a strategic move for sure, but it shored up some votes. I think it made some white people who were wary about voting for Obama feel 'safe' in their choice.

Then McCain picked Palin who is a loyal right-winger and supportive of the neo-cons. She's not going to challenge McCain or their agenda. She appeals to some women by sharing a common gender and/or race and/or mommy status, but she is woefully unprepared for the task at hand.

So now Joe Biden looks good by comparison. He could've taken pork and increased his net worth by millions but chose not to. He did pass the Violence Against Women Act. He also seems to be pretty jazzed about being Obama's VP.