Sunday, September 20, 2009

Kanye Didn't Give the Most Infamous Outburst on MTV

By now I'm certain enough people have heard about Kanye West's hijacking of Taylor Swift's acceptance speech. He'd been drinking and used his male privilege to assert his opinion about why Swift's video for "You Belong With Me" wasn't as good as Beyonce's "Single Ladies". Considering the fact she did a virtual recreation of Bob Fosse's "Mexican Breakfast" (that she sparingly attributes to him) shouldn't West have been demanding giving credit where credit is due?

Lest anyone think I'm excusing the rap artist's boorish, rude behavior I'm not! It didn't go unnoticed how quickly the president's "off the record" comment referring to West as a jacka** was "accidently" released as well. While it may be true we're also observing yet another situation where Obama decides to put down blacks to curry brownie points amongst whites. I'm not impressed by either males' behavior under these circumstances.

For me the honor of the most infamous VMA acceptance interruptus goes to Fiona Apple. Whether she was speaking from the heart or biting the hand that fed her, the then 19-year-old's speech from 1997 will remain memorable.



Bookmark and Share
TwitThis

2 comments:

E. N. said...

"It's just stupid that I'm in this world."

LMAO Wow! That is just comedy. I'm going to have to use that line at least once today, LOL!


E.N.
Sticks and Stones - An Emotional Abuse Survivor's Blog
http://theemancipatedsurvivor.blogspot.com

Faith at Acts of Faith Blog said...

EN: What she said was heartfelt at the time. It always endeared me to Apple even if I thought her outburst wasn't executed to her advantage.