Sunday, August 3, 2008

DJ Spinna is the best!

So I am rubbing my sore feet as I type this. I just got in after an evening of fond memories, screaming lyrics at the top of my lungs and jumping around like a zombie. DJ Spinna came to San Francisco for his annual Soul Slam party. It's Prince vs. Michael Jackson and all their cohorts and family members for a musical stand-off.  The Time, Vanity 6, Janet, SWV, Sheila E. and even Rockwell gets a spin or two. It's so fun being in a crowd of people of all ethnicities and ages doing the dance moves from a video or singing the chorus to Glamorous Life or the feeling of unfettered enthusiasm when hearing the original Jackson 5 song ABC segued into Naughty By Nature's OPP. Trust me there is no comparison to hearing the intro bassline to Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough played back to back three times before continuing the song and the crowd goes, "Oooh" in unison with MJ as the strings kick in! All personal demons and legal issues aside, can anyone argue the significance of Raspberry Beret, 1999, This Place Hotel or I Feel For You [esp when he mixes the original with the Chaka version and the Melle Mel rap]? That was the first R&B song that used hip-hop...and it all went downhill from there - ha! I tell you we could solve world peace with the right music people. They just don't make songs like those anymore. Now I have to wait another year......

No comments: